In Health and Physical Education, students develop the skills, knowledge, and understanding to strengthen their sense of self, and build and manage satisfying, respectful relationships. They learn to build on personal and community strengths and assets to enhance safety and wellbeing. They will engage in lessons that promote a healthy lifestyle and learn movement skills and techniques related to sports and fitness.
The Australian Curriculum: Health and Physical Education (F–10) aims to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills to enable students to:
- access, evaluate and synthesise information to take positive action to protect, enhance and advocate for their own and others’ health, wellbeing, safety and physical activity participation across their lifespan
- develop and use personal, behavioural, social and cognitive skills and strategies to promote a sense of personal identity and wellbeing and to build and manage respectful relationships
- acquire, apply and evaluate movement skills, concepts and strategies to respond confidently, competently and creatively in a variety of physical activity contexts and settings
- engage in and enjoy regular movement-based learning experiences and understand and appreciate their significance to personal, social, cultural, environmental and health practices and outcomes
- analyse how varied and changing personal and contextual factors shape understanding of, and opportunities for, health and physical activity locally, regionally and globally.
Our school also facilitates the following programs to assist students in developing skills within the Physical Activity curriculum:
- *Learn to swim - Years 2 to 4
- *Water Safety – Years 5
- Summer Sports Rotations – Years 4 to 6
- Winter Sports Rotations – Years 3 to 6
- Leadership Camp – Years 5 and 6
- Bravehearts – P to 3 (biennial)
- Athletics Rotations – 9 years old and up
- *Skipathon (Prep to Year 6)
*These additional programs incur a cost
This overview (PDF, 556KB) illustrates the many and varied physical activities that are offered at Nashville SS, most of which have been offered and conducted for several years.